COTA CLUB

Home

About

History

Volunteer

Contact



Projects

Grants & Scholarships

Education Assistance

Environmental Research Center

Landing Craft Procurement

Donated Goods Transportation

Pier Construction

Alternate Energy Sources



Supporting Businesses

Please visit and support the businesses that have donated materials and services to our campaign. Without them and all who have donated, the COTA CLUB would not be possible.


In Memory of:

Ms. Marilyn Bull

Co Founder of the Belize Independence Project. Leaving a lifetime of sharing and caring.

Donate to COTA CLUB


Stann Creek District

Placencia

Dangriga

Tobacco Caye

Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary & Jaguar Reserve

Belize Tourism

The Great Blue Hole

Lamanai

St. John's Cathedral,
Belize City

Belize District

Cayo District

Corozal District

Orange Walk District

Toledo District


COTA CLUB on Facebook! Join us and see what we are up to!

St. John's Cathedral, Belize City, Belize

St. John's Cathedral, Belize City, BelizeDating to the early 1800’s, St John’s Cathedral is the oldest surviving building of Belize’s colonial period as well as the oldest Anglican Church in Central America.

Directly across the street from the House of Culture at the intersection of Regent and Albert Streets in Belize City is St. John's Cathedral. The church was built by slaves from bricks brought to Belize as ballast in the hulls of ships sailing from Europe. The building took eight years to complete and inside one can find many original architectural touches including intricate stained glass windows, ornate mahogany pews and an antique organ.

During the 1600’s Britain conducted the coronations of 4 Mosquito kings in this cathedral. The indigenous Miskito tribe along the coast between Honduras and Nicaragua favored the English over the Spanish colonists and the coronations were a short-lived attempt to secure English interests in logwood extraction in the area.

Visitors to the Cathedral have been numerous. They include the Archbishop of Canterbury in 1969, the Archbishop of York in 1958 and the Archbishop of Wales in 1969, who delivered the sermon at the installation of Dean Gareth Lewis on 15th December, 1969. Royal visitors have included H.R.H. The Princess Royal, H.R.H. the Princess Margaret and H.R.H. The Duke of Edinburgh.

To commemorate the 160th Anniversary of the Cathedral in 1972, a Public Lecture was given on the History of St. John’s Cathedral by the former Archdeacon G. Rodwell Hulse, M.A., under the patronage of the Chancellor of the Diocese, Sir Harrison Courtenay. The Archdeacon states that the history of this Cathedral is the Nation’s history, “happily spanning the years both by oral tradition and written record to that day—that great day in the community when the founding of this building and congregation took place.”